Site of Reference: http://financialtimes.printthis.clickability.com/pt/cpt?action=cpt&title=FT.com+%2F+World+%2F+US+-+Wolfowitz+on+shortlist+for+World+Bank+top+post&expire=&urlID=13390277&fb=Y&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F6be27ed0-89da-11d9-aa18-00000e2511c8%2Cft_acl%3D%2Cs01%3D1.html&partnerID=1700
Tom Ridge was recently hired by Home Depot whose CEO is a good friend of President Bush. Now Paul Wolfowitz could be the head of the World Bank. Isn’t it great when you have friends? The Financial Times is reporting, “Paul Wolfowitz, US deputy secretary of defense, has emerged as a leading candidate to replace James Wolfensohn as the president of the World Bank.”
While it takes some severe arm-twisting to get this White House to forgive poorer countries the debt they owe, you can imagine that if Wolfowitz gets the job the World Bank will not only not forgive their debts but also collect every penny and try to convince them they will be the better for it. Imagine Wolfowitz in the boardroom like Porter Goss. We must follow the President and his idea of what the world should be.
The Financial Times also reports, “The nomination of Mr Wolfowitz, one of the chief architects of the Iraq war and a former US ambassador to Indonesia, would likely be highly controversial, and could raise new questions about the process by which the World Bank chief is selected. One administration official said his nomination “would have enormous repercussions within the development community”. Controversial doesn’t seem to quite put it in perspective. This administration, regime, etc., has proven time and again that it will get what it wants when it wants despite anything else. Defying the U.N. like Harry Truman and going to war, getting elected when not receiving the votes honestly, the list goes on and on. But consider where we will be if a Bush drone gets to be in charge of the money in the World Bank?
The most enraging piece of this story is a quote from Rob Nichols, “The effort to pick the US candidate has been led by the White House National Security Council and the Council of Economic Advisers. The Treasury is leading consultations with other World Bank shareholders. Asked about Mr Wolfowitz's possible nomination, Rob Nichols, Treasury spokesman, said: “We don't speculate on personnel appointments before they are made.” Speculate? I can see where they wouldn’t to speculate on nominating and electing on their own, remember Florida in 2000?
President Bush: Hey Jeb, we gonna get the votes down there?
Governor Jeb Bush: What do you think? (laughs)
- Chris Mansel
- ► 2007 (60)
- ► 2006 (91)
- The Grieving Road Show of the Culture of Life
- A Portion of the Soul Carries the Heart
- Schiavo and the Chaos Outside
- Emma Goldman
- Culture Of Life and the Sex Offender
- Wal-Mart, Choice Point Inc and the Tick Tick Tick ...
- Teresa Schiavo (part two)
- The Wolfson Report on Teresa Marie Schiavo
- The Bloggers Don’t Have A Board Of Directors
- The Fraudulent Media Whore James Gordon “Bo” Gritz...
- Terry Schiavo’s Darkness Brought To The Light
- Poverty Knows No Color
- Interview with Tom Morello by David Jenison
- Altruism and Enemy Combatants
- Choice Point Digs In For The 2008 Election
- Darfur, A Preventable Wasteland
- Genocide Fills The Air of History
- A Vote for Bud Cramer Is A Vote For Big Oil
- The Bushes Are Coming, The Bushes Are Coming (for ...
- In A Perfect Gehenna or The Emperor’s Diseased Rep...
- No Democracy, Human Rights or Basic Liberties for ...
- Children at Abu Ghraid
- State of the Blog
- The Ominous Thinning Air of the Veterans Administr...
- The NRA, Bush, and Terror Suspects and the Lure of...
- Bush's Repertoire In The Cannon of Gannon (for Bo...
- The Early Reports
- Nothing is out of reach.
- This Land Is Your Land
- Put These Hands To Rest (for Woody)
- A Watershed Moment
- George and Bandar Bush: The Cartographer’s Nightma...
- The Bush Jihad
- The U.S. Army and the Recommended Policy of Illega...
- The Eradication of a Nation
- The NSA and The Tabernacle Of The Inquisitorial
- Blowing In The Wind
- Sun Wyung Moon Over Washington
- Obiter Dictum (Ward Churchill)
- Where Nature Meets The Ends Of The Earth
- The Generation That Could Cease To Be
- Death Takes A Holiday
- Wolfowitz for Currency Czar
- ▼ March (46)