How do you know if you have stumbled upon an atrocity or an act of war? A holocaust or what pathologists refer to as a bludgeoning? The smell would hit you before you saw it. The smell of human flesh mixed with the acrid wind and smoke, the sound of flies turning to maggots, you’d smell the body cavity opened, the viscera. The real question is how a reporter could walk upon something like that and report it as a skirmish, or that the ongoing quest for identification will take some time.
Death camps like Omarska, Treblinka, or Dachau don’t just spring up overnight, the worst of all being Auschwitz. The hatred it takes to commit the acts in Rwanda is never just under the surface. When you read about a mass grave you believe that you can picture it. A big hole freshly dug with bodies thrown in on top of the other and someone either standing there who is guilty or someone taking photographs and investigating it. That is what comes to mind at first but you have to go a bit deeper than that. Where did it all start? Not who was the first to die but who was first to give birth to the idea? The killings in Iraq and in Afghanistan border on the tens of thousands but how will we ever know? The absence of information and the deliberate denial of action by an army such as that of the United States which at one time discovered the Nazi death camps reminds one of the sickening phrase, “Those who don’t know history are doomed to repeat it.” Which is worse not knowing history and repeating it, or knowing full well and doing it anyway?
- Chris Mansel
- ► 2007 (60)
- ► 2006 (91)
- The Grieving Road Show of the Culture of Life
- A Portion of the Soul Carries the Heart
- Schiavo and the Chaos Outside
- Emma Goldman
- Culture Of Life and the Sex Offender
- Wal-Mart, Choice Point Inc and the Tick Tick Tick ...
- Teresa Schiavo (part two)
- The Wolfson Report on Teresa Marie Schiavo
- The Bloggers Don’t Have A Board Of Directors
- The Fraudulent Media Whore James Gordon “Bo” Gritz...
- Terry Schiavo’s Darkness Brought To The Light
- Poverty Knows No Color
- Interview with Tom Morello by David Jenison
- Altruism and Enemy Combatants
- Choice Point Digs In For The 2008 Election
- Darfur, A Preventable Wasteland
- Genocide Fills The Air of History
- A Vote for Bud Cramer Is A Vote For Big Oil
- The Bushes Are Coming, The Bushes Are Coming (for ...
- In A Perfect Gehenna or The Emperor’s Diseased Rep...
- No Democracy, Human Rights or Basic Liberties for ...
- Children at Abu Ghraid
- State of the Blog
- The Ominous Thinning Air of the Veterans Administr...
- The NRA, Bush, and Terror Suspects and the Lure of...
- Bush's Repertoire In The Cannon of Gannon (for Bo...
- The Early Reports
- Nothing is out of reach.
- This Land Is Your Land
- Put These Hands To Rest (for Woody)
- A Watershed Moment
- George and Bandar Bush: The Cartographer’s Nightma...
- The Bush Jihad
- The U.S. Army and the Recommended Policy of Illega...
- The Eradication of a Nation
- The NSA and The Tabernacle Of The Inquisitorial
- Blowing In The Wind
- Sun Wyung Moon Over Washington
- Obiter Dictum (Ward Churchill)
- Where Nature Meets The Ends Of The Earth
- The Generation That Could Cease To Be
- Death Takes A Holiday
- Wolfowitz for Currency Czar
- ▼ March (46)