90 million people, it made me cry to read this figure. The horrible loss of life in the Holocaust, in the genocide of Rwanda, the number of lives lost in nearly every epidemic in the history of man hardly stand up against Ninety million lives by one preventable disease. The BBC somberly reports, “Nearly 90 million Africans could be infected by HIV in the next 20 years if more is not done to combat the epidemic, the UN has warned.”
The story also reports this statistic; “Some 25 million Africans have HIV, which causes Aids, at present. The world body estimates the next two decades could see 89 million new cases of the disease in Africa - or up to 10% of the continent's population.” There is medicine that could help those that are dying; there is medicine that could help prevent this from happening. The next time you feel sorry for yourself imagine watching everyone you have ever met, not just your family or your friends but everyone you have ever seen in your life (have you actually seen 90 million people in your life?) Is going to die of a disease that could have been prevented. This is not a horror story to scare the children, it’s not part of a blockbuster script for the movies, and it’s as real as the sun shining and the earth revolving. You’ve read of the age of the plagues. You’ve read of Hiroshima and the lives lost. How can you conceive of 90 million lives lost?
The BBC also reports, “The UN report concludes that if millions of Africans are still being infected by HIV by 2025, "it will not be because there was no choice". "It will be because, collectively, there was insufficient political will to change behaviour at all levels... and halt the forces driving the Aids epidemic in Africa." So don’t change the channel, don’t say I am not going to read another article about AIDS. Face the miles of children whose graves dug end to end could reach across the continent of Africa. What will we do if this disease ever comes to our shores in this way? Have hearings? Put up roadblocks?
- Chris Mansel
- ► 2007 (60)
- ► 2006 (91)
- The Grieving Road Show of the Culture of Life
- A Portion of the Soul Carries the Heart
- Schiavo and the Chaos Outside
- Emma Goldman
- Culture Of Life and the Sex Offender
- Wal-Mart, Choice Point Inc and the Tick Tick Tick ...
- Teresa Schiavo (part two)
- The Wolfson Report on Teresa Marie Schiavo
- The Bloggers Don’t Have A Board Of Directors
- The Fraudulent Media Whore James Gordon “Bo” Gritz...
- Terry Schiavo’s Darkness Brought To The Light
- Poverty Knows No Color
- Interview with Tom Morello by David Jenison
- Altruism and Enemy Combatants
- Choice Point Digs In For The 2008 Election
- Darfur, A Preventable Wasteland
- Genocide Fills The Air of History
- A Vote for Bud Cramer Is A Vote For Big Oil
- The Bushes Are Coming, The Bushes Are Coming (for ...
- In A Perfect Gehenna or The Emperor’s Diseased Rep...
- No Democracy, Human Rights or Basic Liberties for ...
- Children at Abu Ghraid
- State of the Blog
- The Ominous Thinning Air of the Veterans Administr...
- The NRA, Bush, and Terror Suspects and the Lure of...
- Bush's Repertoire In The Cannon of Gannon (for Bo...
- The Early Reports
- Nothing is out of reach.
- This Land Is Your Land
- Put These Hands To Rest (for Woody)
- A Watershed Moment
- George and Bandar Bush: The Cartographer’s Nightma...
- The Bush Jihad
- The U.S. Army and the Recommended Policy of Illega...
- The Eradication of a Nation
- The NSA and The Tabernacle Of The Inquisitorial
- Blowing In The Wind
- Sun Wyung Moon Over Washington
- Obiter Dictum (Ward Churchill)
- Where Nature Meets The Ends Of The Earth
- The Generation That Could Cease To Be
- Death Takes A Holiday
- Wolfowitz for Currency Czar
- ▼ March (46)