Like any concerned citizen I wrote my districts man in the House of Representatives (Bud Cramer) and asked him to please not vote for drilling in the Artic National Wildlife Refuge. But today I get a letter from saying, “Given the contentious nature of the debate surrounding this issue, I would like to take a moment to detail my position. I believe that without continued access to safe, affordable, and reliable sources of energy our economy would falter, our productivity wane, and our national security would be threatened. Over the course of the last few years with the dramatic price spikes in the cost of gasoline and natural gas, the growing concern over the reliability of our nation’s aging energy infrastructure, and our dependence upon imported oil, it is clear that as a country we have to get a hold of our energy situation and develop a comprehensive policy to address our future energy needs.
In order to develop this comprehensive national energy policy, in addition to focusing on decreasing energy consumption, we must take a hard look at increasing our reliance on imported oil. In the 1970s at the height of the OPEC instigated oil crisis we imported 36 percent of our oil. That figure ballooned to 58 percent in 2002, and over the next two decades it is projected that this trend will continue. Consequently, conservation alone will not reverse our course.”
That last line just eats at me. Who does he think increased the import of oil from 36 to 58 percent? Who allowed Bush to do it? People like him. There is no need for our dependence on foreign oil. There are many ways to get energy in this country besides depending on oil. You would think a Democrat would know this. So the Artic Refuge Drilling wannabe President of ours has drafted the Democrats. So I guess you don’t have to cross party lines anymore, just stick out your hand and let the lobbyists fill it up with cold legal hard cash. What a job.
- Chris Mansel
Monday, March 14, 2005
- ► 2007 (60)
- ► 2006 (91)
- The Grieving Road Show of the Culture of Life
- A Portion of the Soul Carries the Heart
- Schiavo and the Chaos Outside
- Emma Goldman
- Culture Of Life and the Sex Offender
- Wal-Mart, Choice Point Inc and the Tick Tick Tick ...
- Teresa Schiavo (part two)
- The Wolfson Report on Teresa Marie Schiavo
- The Bloggers Don’t Have A Board Of Directors
- The Fraudulent Media Whore James Gordon “Bo” Gritz...
- Terry Schiavo’s Darkness Brought To The Light
- Poverty Knows No Color
- Interview with Tom Morello by David Jenison
- Altruism and Enemy Combatants
- Choice Point Digs In For The 2008 Election
- Darfur, A Preventable Wasteland
- Genocide Fills The Air of History
- A Vote for Bud Cramer Is A Vote For Big Oil
- The Bushes Are Coming, The Bushes Are Coming (for ...
- In A Perfect Gehenna or The Emperor’s Diseased Rep...
- No Democracy, Human Rights or Basic Liberties for ...
- Children at Abu Ghraid
- State of the Blog
- The Ominous Thinning Air of the Veterans Administr...
- The NRA, Bush, and Terror Suspects and the Lure of...
- Bush's Repertoire In The Cannon of Gannon (for Bo...
- The Early Reports
- Nothing is out of reach.
- This Land Is Your Land
- Put These Hands To Rest (for Woody)
- A Watershed Moment
- George and Bandar Bush: The Cartographer’s Nightma...
- The Bush Jihad
- The U.S. Army and the Recommended Policy of Illega...
- The Eradication of a Nation
- The NSA and The Tabernacle Of The Inquisitorial
- Blowing In The Wind
- Sun Wyung Moon Over Washington
- Obiter Dictum (Ward Churchill)
- Where Nature Meets The Ends Of The Earth
- The Generation That Could Cease To Be
- Death Takes A Holiday
- Wolfowitz for Currency Czar
- ▼ March (46)