Site of Reference: http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050301/D88I8SPO1.html
I have always felt that the Death penalty is wrong. It is as some say, “Government sponsored murder.” Those like me who believe that capitol punishment is wrong, though unexpected, have won today a victory. The AP is reporting,
“The Supreme Court ruled Tuesday that the Constitution forbids the execution of killers who were under 18 when they committed their crimes, ending a practice used in 19 states.
The 5-4 decision throws out the death sentences of about 70 juvenile murderers and bars states from seeking to execute minors for future crimes.
The executions, the court said, were unconstitutionally cruel.”
I agree completely with the Supreme Court for a change, it is “unconstitutionally cruel.” It is so refreshing to hear the constitution mentioned during the Bush years. President Bush comes from Texas where more people are executed every year. Now take former Republican governor of Illinois, George H. Ryan. Former Governor George Ryan pardoned 167 people who were on death row because he felt that the death penalty was wrong. The most surprising point of this is that the Governor is a Republican. The apple doesn’t always fall too far from the tree but sometime, just sometimes maybe the apple is so sweet it tends to just float down with ease.
The AP also reports, “It was the second major defeat at the high court in three years for supporters of the death penalty. Justices in 2002 banned the execution of the mentally retarded, also citing the Constitution's Eighth Amendment ban on cruel and unusual punishments.” Friedrich Nietzsche wrote, “How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we are marching into battle against an enemy.” The thumping of the drums you hear today are not protestors outside the capitol protesting the Death penalty, it’s the sound of the president’s fingers rapping on the desk in the oval office biding his time until Chief Justice Rehnquist retires.
- Chris Mansel
- ► 2007 (60)
- ► 2006 (91)
- The Grieving Road Show of the Culture of Life
- A Portion of the Soul Carries the Heart
- Schiavo and the Chaos Outside
- Emma Goldman
- Culture Of Life and the Sex Offender
- Wal-Mart, Choice Point Inc and the Tick Tick Tick ...
- Teresa Schiavo (part two)
- The Wolfson Report on Teresa Marie Schiavo
- The Bloggers Don’t Have A Board Of Directors
- The Fraudulent Media Whore James Gordon “Bo” Gritz...
- Terry Schiavo’s Darkness Brought To The Light
- Poverty Knows No Color
- Interview with Tom Morello by David Jenison
- Altruism and Enemy Combatants
- Choice Point Digs In For The 2008 Election
- Darfur, A Preventable Wasteland
- Genocide Fills The Air of History
- A Vote for Bud Cramer Is A Vote For Big Oil
- The Bushes Are Coming, The Bushes Are Coming (for ...
- In A Perfect Gehenna or The Emperor’s Diseased Rep...
- No Democracy, Human Rights or Basic Liberties for ...
- Children at Abu Ghraid
- State of the Blog
- The Ominous Thinning Air of the Veterans Administr...
- The NRA, Bush, and Terror Suspects and the Lure of...
- Bush's Repertoire In The Cannon of Gannon (for Bo...
- The Early Reports
- Nothing is out of reach.
- This Land Is Your Land
- Put These Hands To Rest (for Woody)
- A Watershed Moment
- George and Bandar Bush: The Cartographer’s Nightma...
- The Bush Jihad
- The U.S. Army and the Recommended Policy of Illega...
- The Eradication of a Nation
- The NSA and The Tabernacle Of The Inquisitorial
- Blowing In The Wind
- Sun Wyung Moon Over Washington
- Obiter Dictum (Ward Churchill)
- Where Nature Meets The Ends Of The Earth
- The Generation That Could Cease To Be
- Death Takes A Holiday
- Wolfowitz for Currency Czar
- ▼ March (46)