Site of Reference: http://www.halliburton.com/news/archive/2004/report.jsp
A press release of Halliburton in 2003; the preface states, “This report is being submitted to the Halliburton Company Board of Directors pursuant to an agreement worked out with Mr. William Thompson Jr.'s Office of the Comptroller, which represents the New York City Police Pension Fund and the New York City Fire Department Pension Fund which are Halliburton stockholders. (approximately 318,540 shares.) The Fund's stated concern was that the Halliburton Board of Directors have actual knowledge of operations conducted in Iran or for Iranian entities by the various worldwide elements of the Company.” So the New York City Fire Department Pension Fund wants to make sure that Halliburton is acting in a legal manner. But in the next paragraph we find that Halliburton has identified a technicality on which to operate. A loophole described as “independent foreign subsidiaries.” In other words don’t mess with us we are Halliburton and we will find a way to get what we want.
“As the Board is aware, Iran is the subject of special sanctions administered by the U.S. Treasury, through the U.S. Office of Foreign Assets Control. In general, all "U.S. Persons", both corporate and individual, are prohibited to enter into transactions with Iran or entities working on behalf of Iran, and are further prohibited to "approve or facilitate" transactions by foreign persons. The sanctions leave open, however, the possibility for "independent foreign subsidiaries" of U.S. corporations, which are not considered to be "U.S. Persons" to conduct such business. Many U.S. corporations have foreign subsidiaries active in Iran, including our major competitors.” I am surprised they didn’t go ahead and name names. If they are saying that they do not have any Americans whatsoever working in Iran who is to get in the country and investigate? I believe the F.B.I. and the C.I.A. has employed non-U.S. persons before. All it takes is a different passport. It is not as if Iran is checking their office paperwork everyday as a requirement for their presence there.
“Halliburton has taken care to isolate its entities that continue to work in Iran from contact with U.S. citizens or managers of U.S. companies, so as to insure that all work in Iran is undertaken independently, without any facilitation, authorization or approval from U.S. citizen managers. The Board should be assured however, that the U.S. Sanctions do not prohibit them as individuals, or as the Halliburton Company Board of Directors, from having knowledge of the activity there.” So they can employ these non-U.S. persons but can’t have any contact with them? Can you imagine Halliburton having no knowledge of the job its workers are doing? “Well, tell us how it went when you get back, can’t wait to find out.”
Recently Halliburton has come under intense scrutiny, or as intense as the Bush government will let it and is to be banned from doing work in Iraq so the headlines read. They can simply hire these non-U.S. persons and ……
- Chris Mansel
- ► 2007 (60)
- ► 2006 (91)
- The Grieving Road Show of the Culture of Life
- A Portion of the Soul Carries the Heart
- Schiavo and the Chaos Outside
- Emma Goldman
- Culture Of Life and the Sex Offender
- Wal-Mart, Choice Point Inc and the Tick Tick Tick ...
- Teresa Schiavo (part two)
- The Wolfson Report on Teresa Marie Schiavo
- The Bloggers Don’t Have A Board Of Directors
- The Fraudulent Media Whore James Gordon “Bo” Gritz...
- Terry Schiavo’s Darkness Brought To The Light
- Poverty Knows No Color
- Interview with Tom Morello by David Jenison
- Altruism and Enemy Combatants
- Choice Point Digs In For The 2008 Election
- Darfur, A Preventable Wasteland
- Genocide Fills The Air of History
- A Vote for Bud Cramer Is A Vote For Big Oil
- The Bushes Are Coming, The Bushes Are Coming (for ...
- In A Perfect Gehenna or The Emperor’s Diseased Rep...
- No Democracy, Human Rights or Basic Liberties for ...
- Children at Abu Ghraid
- State of the Blog
- The Ominous Thinning Air of the Veterans Administr...
- The NRA, Bush, and Terror Suspects and the Lure of...
- Bush's Repertoire In The Cannon of Gannon (for Bo...
- The Early Reports
- Nothing is out of reach.
- This Land Is Your Land
- Put These Hands To Rest (for Woody)
- A Watershed Moment
- George and Bandar Bush: The Cartographer’s Nightma...
- The Bush Jihad
- The U.S. Army and the Recommended Policy of Illega...
- The Eradication of a Nation
- The NSA and The Tabernacle Of The Inquisitorial
- Blowing In The Wind
- Sun Wyung Moon Over Washington
- Obiter Dictum (Ward Churchill)
- Where Nature Meets The Ends Of The Earth
- The Generation That Could Cease To Be
- Death Takes A Holiday
- Wolfowitz for Currency Czar
- ▼ March (46)