Author Chomsky eager to meet Venezuela's Chavez
Fri Sep 22, 6:50 PM ET
Author Noam Chomsky, whose three-year-old book shot to the top of the Amazon.com bestseller list after Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez touted it at the United Nations, reportedly said he would like to meet Chavez.
"I would be happy to meet him," said Chomsky according to the New York Times.
The American author told the Times he received "10,000 e-mails" after Chavez recommended his 2003 book "Hegemony or Survival" in remarks before the United Nations General Assembly.
Chavez made headlines this week for railing against US "imperialism" in the eyebrow-raising speech.
Chomsky, 77, told the newspaper he would not use the same words -- "alcoholic," "sick man" and "tyrant" -- that Chavez used to describe President George W. Bush.
But he said he understood where the Venezuelan president was coming from.
"The Bush administration backed a coup to overthrow his government," Chomsky said. "Suppose Venezuela supported a military coup that overthrew the government of the United States? Would we think it was a joke?"
The leftist author, a linguistics scholar and longtime critic of US foreign policy, told the Times he is "quite interested" in Chavez's policies and finds many of them "quite constructive."
Copyright © 2006 Agence France Presse. All rights reserved. The information contained in the AFP News report may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed without the prior written authority of Agence France Presse.
Saturday, September 23, 2006
- ► 2007 (60)
- Honesty In American Politics?
- Wal-Mart To Shrink Options For New Hires Health Ca...
- White House Bars Hurricane Report
- Noam Chomsky Eager To Meet Venezuela's Chavez
- Mexico Is Haven For U.S. Pedophile Priests
- Supporting The Worker, Their Life Is Yours
- When Speculation Grows Hoarse
- Ann Richards Passes
- Rwandan sentenced to 25 years for role in 1994 gen...
- Two New Rumors
- Southwest Virginia family and A&G Coal settle in 3...
- Army Unleashes Military Offensive in Darfur UN
- How We Leave The Beaten In The Well
- ▼ September (13)